|Advertisement in "The Carpenter" Feb. 1930|
Simonds' entry into power tools followed the discontinuation of hand saw manufacturing in 1926. A 1930 advertisement described "a high grade line of electric drills, electric handsaws, electric bench grinders, electric mortisers and electric planes..." Simonds operated this subsidiary as Wappat Inc. until 1941, when Mr. Wappat bought the business back. He ran it as Fred W. Wappat Inc. of Mayville, NY, and sold the business in 1950 to Cummins-Chicago Corp. That firm continued to make Wappat-designed tools until they sold their tool line in 1954 to John Oster Manufacturing Co.
|Harrisburg "Evening News" 3 Nov 1930|
Fred W. Wappat's U.S. patents
Web page of the New York Wappat family
|"Pacific Construction" 15 Mar. 1939|